[OSM-talk] Notebook scans

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Mon Aug 13 08:58:09 BST 2007

Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I have always viewed the fact that OSM encourages me to upload GPX
> traces for the benefit of accountability as a kind of mistrust - "we
> want to keep our data clean and we don't trust you enough to just accept
> your word that you didn't copy data".

While that may be the reason that this is encouraged, I find the GPX
data useful for other reasons.  If someone else has driven along the
same stretch of road that I have, that's one more set of data over and
above the points that I have.  This enables me to make a better choice
about where the middle of the road really is, etc.  It also means that
if I'm mapping a motorway junction that I've recently been through and
someone else has already been around the missing leaf that I didn't
drive over, I can complete their and my mapping.

Uploading GPX points might also aid with accountability, but for me,
that's just a side-effect.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.