[OSM-talk] UK: Trunk-Primary

Abigail Brady morwen at evilmagic.org
Mon Aug 13 11:50:48 BST 2007

On 8/13/07, Abigail Brady <morwen at evilmagic.org> wrote:

> On 8/13/07, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > All *I* was saying is that *I* use Trunk for green 'A' roads and Primary
> > for
> > other 'A' roads. So the original LONG: statement is to my mind simply
> > wrong.
> > A trunk road has green signs - a primary road does not?
>

> Nope.  Primary A roads - those that form part of the Primary Route Network
> - have green signs.
> Non-primary A roads, which do not form part of the Primary Route Network -
> have white and black signs.
>
> The Primary Route Network is an entirely different think to the set of
> roads which the Highways Agency maintains.

Oh, and also, the Primary Route Network is what I reckon should be tagged as
highway=trunk, ignoring the legal definition of trunk entirely.  So we have
for UK road tagging

1. HA-maintained (trunk) motorways - all part of the Primary Route Network:
blue signs: highway=motorway
2. council-maintained motorways (these exist) - all part of the Primary
Route Network: blue signs: highway=motorway
3. HA-maintained (trunk) A-roads - those part of the Primary Route Network:
green signs: highway=trunk
4. council-maintained A-roads - those part of the Primary Route Network:
green signs: highway=trunk
5. council-maintained A-roads - not part of the Primary Route Network:
white/black signs: highway=primary

Distinguishing between 3 and 4 on a map would be pointless.   Distinguishing
between 3/4 and 5 is sensible: these roads although they may be maintained
by the council, nontheless form part of an official Primary Route Network
which is promulgated by the government.  It is this which determines the
greenness of signs.

The weirdness here is that the roads marked highway=primary therefore aren't
actually primary A-roads, but nevermind that.

--
Abi