[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Tue Aug 14 10:03:21 BST 2007

Hi there,

currently Im trying to map the ways of a hiking tour I recently did in the
Swiss Alpes. Unfortunately I can not currently use anything else than
highway=footway for hiking trails. Unfortunately this is very insufficient
in many ways!

As far as alpine trails are concerned I would need at least 3-4 types of
ways to describe what the official Swiss map of trails has and to make this
useful for others. Probably somebody else will be able to translate this to
a more correct english than I can.

* hiking trail "Wanderweg"
* mountain trails (hiking boots required) "Bergwanderwege"
* trails without visible trail (with official markers) "Alpine Routen"
* trails without visible trail (without official markers)

I read the proposal at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Trail which is
talking about permission to use a trail only and not about who might be able
to use the trail.

On Alpine routes this is IMO more important than permission (anybody has the
permission to use a hiking trail in most cases).

Anyway, I think this could be extended to match what would
be needed for hiking trails.

BTW, cycleways have a very simular problem.

Sven

--
"We don't know the OS that God uses, but the Vatican uses Linux"
                               (Sister Judith Zoebelein, Vatican Webmaster)

/me is giggls at ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web