[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

Rik van der Helm rik at the-quickest.com
Tue Aug 14 11:48:38 BST 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:13:28 +0900, "Jeffrey Martin" <dogshed at gmail.com>
said:
> I haven't started doing any of the mountain trails where I live yet, but
> it brings up a more general question. Should we create a separate
> tagging system for each trail or road system or should we try to
> create some kind of system that will apply all over the world?

I am much in favor for a world-wide system. I noticed three 'problems'
for this in the community so far:
1. Strong forces in the community to stick to the
highway=footway,cycleway,bridleway tags.
2. Users who rather gather tags on pathes/trails aimed at rendering the
right colors and linestyles on the maps, then they gather tags on
properties of pathes/trails, which won't render at this moment, but will
have a huge value for future use.
3. The promise of STAGS which will finally bring all individually
taggingsystems together. So why bother, do it your own way !

Greetings, Rik
http://www.opentrail.net