[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Tue Aug 14 13:17:48 BST 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:41:59AM +0000, Sven Geggus wrote:
> > 1. Strong forces in the community to stick to the
> > highway=footway,cycleway,bridleway tags.
>
> Hm, I always thought about them as a strange differentiation. While a lot of
> cycleways in urban areas are plain cyclyways, most of them are not in rural
> areas.
>
> What you can find very frequently at least here in Germany is a combination
> of agricultural service-ways with cycle/footways.
>
> I strongly believe that these ways should be marked as cycleway in whatever
> way.

*sigh* What prevents you from doing a highway=track;bicycle=yes as it is described in the map features page?
This way the cycle layer can draw it as a proper cycleway, while car maps will rener it as a track. Most of the stuff you complain about can be solved with a few existing tags.

Whether it's already rendered the way you want it to be is a different question, but that is a renderer issue, not a data model issue...

spaetz