[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Aug 14 18:51:39 BST 2007

On Tuesday 14 Aug 2007 10:46, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Sven,
>
> yes, the current tags are a little sparse for high level routes. I'd
> suggest thinking up logical tags to describe the physical representation on
> the ground and tag accordingly. Drop the tags you find work for you onto
> the proposed features page so that others can use them too. Add additional
> tags for any administrative information (official/unofficial markers etc)
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

My thoughts on this:

highway=marked_route (route marked by line of cairns or otherwise)
e.g. Pavey Ark to Harrison Stickle, Lake District

highway=recommended_route (recommended route up a mountain, not on the ground)
e.g. Ben More, Scotland [ but the recommended route is a slog up an extremely
steep slope, so not the most fun ascent ever...]

Nick