[OSM-talk] Korean roads and highways

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Wed Aug 15 05:17:29 BST 2007

Hi Jeffrey,

I'm not sure I understand your point. I was just discussing using the ref:au tag to doe ssentially what you want, display different route signs for different route types. A typical road might be

A part of NAtional Road 1

 name=Pacific Highway
 highway=trunk
 ref:au=NR1

or a State route

 name=Appin Road
 highway=primary
 ref:au=S68

The idea is that the renderers know that ref:au=NR1 is a black 1 on a white shield and ref:au=S68 is a white number on a blue shield. The highway= tag tells you what level of road it is, the ref/ref:au/ref:ko tag tells you the reference number and what sort of symbol to display.

I have started a seperate thread to discuss standards for this that could be applied to any country. I am not familiar with the technical aspects of the renderers, so I may be making life difficult. Another possibility is:

ref:au:nr=1 - Australian National Road 1 (black on white shield)
ref:au:s=68 - Australian State Route 68 (white on blue shield)
ref:ko:n=2  - Korean National Route 2 (solid blue circle)

I am looking for input from more knowledgeable souls than myself.

Regards,
Brent.

On 15/08/2007 at 12:20 PM Jeffrey Martin  wrote:

>Why are we using the ref tag and not a tag for highway type and another
>tag
>for route number?
>
>On 8/15/07, Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>> The existing generic 'ref=' tag is available for any simple text
>reference
>> you may want printed against a road.
>>
>> In Australia, we have developed a system specifically for Australia using
>> the 'ref:au=' tag where the options you can use relate directly to the
>type
>> of road and its signage (
>>
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Australian_Roads_Tagging#Reference_Tagging)
>> as used in Australia.
>>
>> This is brand new does not display anything on the main Mapnik or
>> Osmarender maps yet, but we are working on that. In the meantime, it
>gives
>> us a coherent standard to use to start marking routes that will
>ultimately
>> be rendered with the correct route symbols for Australia.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brent.

>> On 15/08/2007 at 8:10 AM Jeffrey Martin  wrote:
>>
>> >When I look at the road tags on the wiki I really want
>> >to come up with my own system for Korea.
>> >I would just like to have a tag for each kind of
>> >symbol found on the road signs. Will this mess
>> >up the rendering?
>> >
>> >My Korean driver's license manual shows four different
>> >kinds roads for Korea. (p. 43)
>> >
>> >Expressway with a red, white, and blue shield.
>> >National road with a solid blue circle.
>> >Provincial road with a yellow rectangle.
>> >City road with a squished hexagon.
>> >
>> >--
>> >http://bowlad.com

Brent Easton