[OSM-talk] Korean roads and highways

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 15 08:35:34 BST 2007

In message <bf60a2e10708142020x48cd44aag97a67e9fa88b350a at mail.gmail.com>
        Jeffrey Martin <dogshed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are we using the ref tag and not a tag for highway type and another tag
> for route number?

Eh? The highway tag gives the general class of the road, and the ref
tag gives it's reference (typically some sort of alphanumeric code
number).

So highway= is a tag for highway type, and ref= for route number.

The highway types are generic (ish - they originated in the UK so are
a bit UK biased), not country specific, so a mapping has to be developed
for each country.

Understanding country specific conventions for rendering things like
route numbers isn't really something we're very good at yes, but I'm
sure it will come in time. For now I would just stick ref=XXX on.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/