[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in general around the world

Jeffrey Martin dogshed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:19:50 BST 2007

I'm not sure what the Highway= tag does. It seems to me to be the British
version of my class number 2 where the route type doesn't exactly match the
development
level of the road. The UK centric descriptions on wiki confuse me.

There certainly is an urge to classify roads in some kind of
scale from major to minor, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this.
Maybe a formula. So many points for each lane? Deduct points for
stoplights?

You seem to be saying that class 3 and 4 are the same. They are not.
If a landowner gives me permission to walk across his frozen pond that
doesn't mean it will support my weight. My motor scooter had no problem
keeping up with traffic on "no motorcycle" roads in Seoul.

Information for class 4 could be derived from class 5 if we collect some
additional data. If I want to take my horse on a road I not only need to
know if the road can support the weight of the horse, but also the chances
the horse will be hit by a truck or twist his leg in a hole. If I try to
derive
class 4 information using class 5 information then I would need to know
the kind of traffic and overhead clearance in addition to the pavement type.

It's true that we can derive information for one class from information
in the others but we need a method to do that and that method
will influence what data we need collect for the other classes.

I'm not planning on walking on thin ice or taking a horse on a major
expressway. I'm just trying to illustrate that the categories are different
and why we need to be clear about what these tags are saying.

http://bowlad.com