[OSM-talk] Country Specific Route Markers

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 15 10:13:01 BST 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:

> In message <c4193f8c0708150143u16ca5cccu8b58f1293d15cac8 at mail.gmail.com>
>         Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > However, from previous emails the actual problem that Brent is trying
> > to solve is that a given stretch of road have more than one ref from
> > different classifications in Australia, unlike in the UK.
>
> To some extent it does happen in the UK. At the very least you can
> have the A414 == NCN1 case for example (true in Harlow). I know that
> is currently hacked round with the ncn_ref tag, but that is rather
> more UK specific that seems entirely reasonable.

I note that (at least in Perth, Australia) there's also an alphanumeric
cycle route numbering system, entirely distinct from the road numbering
system.  I presume that if I was to start mapping that I'd use the
lcn_ref tag.

There's two things under consideration here: the different Australian
route shields are marked by different symbols rather than abbreviations
(except for the alphanumeric state routes, which are almost exactly the
same as the UK ones); and a route can have multiple routes assigned
(e.g. Highway One is a loop around Australia which in many places, e.g.
through cities, coexists with other roads, which may already have other
route numbers assigned and which are more useful for people trying to
navigate the city in question).  There's already a tagging standard for
the latter, albeit ignored by the renderers.  There was none for the
former - different people had been using different systems and
abbreviations.

I'm largely impartial as to the details of the tagging scheme (ref vs
ref:au and the particular abbreviations used).  A separate tag had the
advantage in my mind of less surgery to Mapnik/osm2pgsql would be
needed, but the disadvantage of lacking consistency.

*shrug*

Cameron