[OSM-talk] Country Specific Route Markers

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 15 09:56:08 BST 2007

In message <c4193f8c0708150143u16ca5cccu8b58f1293d15cac8 at mail.gmail.com>
        Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, from previous emails the actual problem that Brent is trying
> to solve is that a given stretch of road have more than one ref from
> different classifications in Australia, unlike in the UK.

To some extent it does happen in the UK. At the very least you can
have the A414 == NCN1 case for example (true in Harlow). I know that
is currently hacked round with the ncn_ref tag, but that is rather
more UK specific that seems entirely reasonable.

Likewise I suspect roads can sometimes carry things like tourist or
holiday route designations in the UK in addition to a normal number.

Not to mention cases where one road "runs under" another - those are
normally ignored in the UK and signs would normally only show the more
senior road, but I think it does technically happen. One example would
be the A414 running "under" the A10 between the Great Amwell and
Hertford junctions in Hertfordshire, although there are extra issues
in that particular case to muddy the waters.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/