[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in general around the world

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Wed Aug 15 11:22:43 BST 2007

On 15/08/2007 at 10:13 AM Richard Fairhurst  wrote:

>To pick up on the other thread, there is really no point in ref:au.
>ref in Australia _means_ ref:au. By all means tag it as
>is_in=Australia if you want to, but we'll eventually be able to infer
>that from country boundaries anyway, and Australia's boundary is
>pretty easy.

Is this realistically going to happen in my lifetime? Do we have the entire world's country boundaries recorded to the required level of detail to be able to efficiently calculate which country any particular segment is in? Is it going to be able to cope with complex borders wrapping around sections of other countries?

Tom's comment was

>We don't have good non-country specific route marking yet (at least
>in mapnik - Osmarender is a bit better) so asking for country specific
>might be leaping ahead a bit.

Is there such a thing as non-country specific route marking??? Do you mean UK route marking? Surely route marking is always at least region specific (EU), if not country specific.

Route marking with appropriate symbols seems to be a pretty basic requirement that people, but whenever it is mentioned, the same story is trotted out - leave it till we can infer the country that a route is in. I see no evidence that this is likely to happen.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton at uws.edu.au