[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed Aug 15 22:53:46 BST 2007

Martin Simon wrote:
> Hmmm... just because hte access by motor vehicles is limited to (for example,
> very common in Germany) agricultural machines and forester/woodworker
> vehicles, it does'nt make the way a cycleway - and this has nothing to do
> with being motor-centristic.

Oh no, definitely not.  Sven's description was just unclear. "asphaltic
cycle/footways" sounds to me like a paved cycleway that allows foot
traffic.  The translated name makes it sound like a highway=service that
allows cycle and foot traffic.  I wasn't sure whether these were former
field access or logging roads that were turned into cycle trails after
the farming or logging had ceased, or if they were current field
access/logging roads that happen to allow cycle/foot traffic (though to
me it would be unusual for such a thing to be paved).  So I tried to
describe the rules I would use to decide how to tag it.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"