[OSM-talk] Hiking Trails

Martin Simon ms_mailbox at web.de
Tue Aug 14 13:49:56 BST 2007

Am Dienstag, 14. August 2007 14:17:48 schrieb spaetz:
>  as cycleway in whatever
>
> > way.
>
> *sigh* What prevents you from doing a highway=track;bicycle=yes as it is
> described in the map features page? This way the cycle layer can draw it as
> a proper cycleway, while car maps will rener it as a track. Most of the
> stuff you complain about can be solved with a few existing tags.
>
> Whether it's already rendered the way you want it to be is a different
> question, but that is a renderer issue, not a data model issue...
>
> spaetz
>   Ende der signierten Nachricht

I think the Problem is to distinguish between a cycle_way_ and a cycle_route_.

Cycleways are special ways exclusively for cyclists, Cycleroutes are are
immaterial - sometimes they use real cycleways, sometimes tracks, residential
or unclassified roads.

The best solution should be to tag the road as e.g. highway=residential,
ncn=something

This way the type of road is correct AND it will be displayed as belonging to
the cycle network, at least on the cycle layer.