[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in general around the world

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Thu Aug 16 00:01:49 BST 2007

Hi Jeffrey,

Without being rude like Steve, he is basically correct.

The users of the map information do not see the highway tags, so their names do not matter. The end result is that you have big zoomy roads drawn in fat blue lines, less zoomy roads in green lines, down to crappy little roads drawn in thin yellow lines. This is basically the same all over the world.

You can adjust this for your country. Australia has a far less developed road system than the US for example, so where in the US, a secondary road is a minor state highway, in Australia it is possibly a crumbling piece of bitumen with the odd line down the centre joining two small towns.

Regards,
Brent.