[OSM-talk] Privacy - Time - Houses

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Thu Aug 16 21:56:35 BST 2007

Hi,

> - The easiest thing to do, if you want to avoid having repeated
> tracks to/from your house, is to leave the GPS turned off over the
> areas that you don't want to upload. That way, you don't have to mess
> around after the fact "scrubbing" the data.

concerning the circular filter option in gpsbabel, it's useless if you
contribute some handful of tracks. From various tracks all filtered by
the same circle it's pretty easy to predict where you live... :)

> After all that, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care.
> If someone really wants to know where I live, that information's out
> there anyway, in contexts outside OSM, and it wouldn't be hard to
> track it down.

I think the same, but OTOH if someone manages to map your tracks with
your address, he can easyly (and more important: automatically) use
your tracks to get a consumer profile: "Ah, stopped at the riverbank
for 6h. Will sell his address to shops which sell fishing stuff" and
the like. It may sound ridiculous today, but I'm pretty sure we will
see some kind of such data mining in the future.

Just my two cents,

ce