[OSM-talk] Privacy - Time - Houses

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Aug 17 08:47:26 BST 2007

At 10:56 PM 8/16/2007, Christoph Eckert wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > - The easiest thing to do, if you want to avoid having repeated
> > tracks to/from your house, is to leave the GPS turned off over the
> > areas that you don't want to upload. That way, you don't have to mess
> > around after the fact "scrubbing" the data.
>
>concerning the circular filter option in gpsbabel, it's useless if you
>contribute some handful of tracks. From various tracks all filtered by
>the same circle it's pretty easy to predict where you live... :)

One other thing to do is simply wait around 30 days before uploading
the tracks so that one one can see a predictable pattern in your
recent movements .  That is what I do for certain security
reasons.  Otherwise I don't care, there are far easier ways of
finding out where I live.  For immediate editing, I simply load my
local .gpx file directly into JOSM.

Mike