[OSM-talk] osmarender: Different icons at different zoom levels?!?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Fri Aug 17 00:29:34 BST 2007

spaetz schrieb:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 05:19:54AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that the post_office icon used in osmarender is different
>> at different zoom levels - which is a pretty bad idea IMHO.
>>
> It's not a bad idea, it's an oversight. When the new postoffice symbol (which is much nicer) got introduced, somebody forgot to change it in z15 as well.

Yes, I've noticed that osmarender (or more precisely tiles at home) uses
different style files for different zoom levels, which is a pity as it
makes it unnecessary hard to maintain. Mapnik uses "scale" settings and
only one file for all zoom levels, which prevents such problems and
makes maintenance much easier IMHO.
> It's fixed now.

Thanks!
>> Could someone change this, so the icon is the same at all zoom levels or
>> is there a reason for this that I don't see?
>>
> Yes, it's the postoffice-conspiracy :-)

Is this a well known conspiracy? ;-)))

There are a lot of different points of view how things should be done in
osmarender / mapnik rendering, which makes it hard as an "outsider" not
being too deeply involved to distinguish between simple
mistakes/oversights or intended behaviour ...

Regards, ULFL