[OSM-talk] osmarender: Different icons at different zoom levels?!?

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Fri Aug 17 12:04:46 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 01:29:34AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Yes, I've noticed that osmarender (or more precisely tiles at home) uses
> different style files for different zoom levels, which is a pity as it
> makes it unnecessary hard to maintain. Mapnik uses "scale" settings and
> only one file for all zoom levels, which prevents such problems and
> makes maintenance much easier IMHO.

Yes, that's what I've been wanting for quite some time: Factoring out all common styles in one stylesheet and only have a small stylesheet that specifies the differences in size and rendering for zoom levels. However, that sounds like a major effort that I have not been willing to investigate so far.
Help for that would be appreciated.

> There are a lot of different points of view how things should be done in
> osmarender / mapnik rendering, which makes it hard as an "outsider" not
> being too deeply involved to distinguish between simple
> mistakes/oversights or intended behaviour ...

It's easy: mapnik bugs are introduced maliciously, while just nobody has fixed them yet in osma. :-)