[OSM-talk] Name finder: "Budapesterplatz" vs. "Budapester platz"

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Aug 17 00:37:33 BST 2007

On 17/08/2007 00:16, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The name finder at http://www.frankieandshadow.com/osm/ won't find
> "Budapesterplatz", but "Budapester Platz" is found here in Nürnberg.
>
> While "Budapester Platz" is the correct term, it would be nice if
> slightly misstyped things like this would be found as well.
>
> Could it be added to the name finders "fuzzy search engine", that
> "Budapesterplatz" and similiar "combined search words" are found as well
> - or will this be too complicated to implement?

I'll have a think about it. It is built around matching words at the
moment, so I don't think it will be straightforward, but then I
appreciate there is a problem here especially in the Germanic and
Scandinavian languages.

I think it ill be much harder to find a street named "Budapester Platz"
if you type "Budapesterplatz" than the other way round. But having made
that observation may help me solve the problem.

While I'm at it, what kind of abbreviation is common in these cases? Do
people write Hauptbahnstr for Haupbahnstrasse or Hauptbahnstraße? Would
you ever write Budapesterpl. or would it naturally always be Budapester
Pl. abbreviated, if indeed abbreviation is used at all?

David