[OSM-talk] Editing and tagging - Potlatch, or just JOSM?

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 05:37:48 BST 2007

I'm starting to fiddle around more seriously with OSM and am trying to use
Potlatch to do so.

For basic things, like tagging ways that are already there, it's great.

For adding new ways/segments, or editing current ways/segments, I just might
not understand what I should
be doing.

I'm adding roads in a big city, and the roads are in a dense grid pattern.
I'm not sure how to start a way/segment
for a new street off of an existing street, so I start from the middle and
draw to the ends. For short streets, it ends
up with 2 segments when really only one is needed. Any other way to do this?

I've also added some one way tags. Now, I really haven't a clue how
OSM/potlatch is using this until the data is
rendered. It would be helpful if Potlatch could hint which direction is
which when you add such a tag.

I have a way that is actually two physical streets, but it's only one
logical way. Is there any way to seperate the segments
or tag them with the proper street names?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a question, but some ways that I've either
interacted with or created have missing segments.
When I added them, or before I added into the area, they were correct. Can I
review what I've done to see if it was really me
that did something?

Last, but not least - erasing. Is there any way to erase in Potlatch? I've
found scribbles, ways that aren't related to anything,
double drawn ways, but I can't figure out what to do with them. For the time
being, I'm trying to re-use them by moving their
points to real streets and integrating them into the map, but occasionally
someone will make a mistake and it would be nice
to just "get rid" of a way or segment.

Having fun adding to the map here,
Gerald.