[OSM-talk] East Hampshire 'Fill The Gap' Footpaths Party - Sep 22/23

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Fri Aug 17 21:41:46 BST 2007

Hello everyone,

I would like to confirm the East Hampshire 'Fill The Gap' footpaths mapping
party on the weekend of September 22/23. Whilst town coverage is good,
coverage of countryside footpaths and walking trails is rather patchy but two
of the biggest concentrations are in the Southampton/New Forest area and the
Haslemere-Petersfield-Midhurst triangle on the boundaries of Hampshire and
West Sussex in southern England. As a result of recent activity the gap (of
about 10 miles) is starting to close.

So, the idea of this party will be to try and close the gap, achieving a
swathe of near-complete-mapping of footpaths stretching from Hindhead
(Surrey) in the northeast to the New Forest in the southwest, making OSM and
Freemap real solutions for people who want to walk in this general area. (A
long term aim would be to close the footpaths gap between Hindhead and
Weybridge but one step at a time....)

It's going out to the international list as you might want to visit the area
even if you are non-UK :-) Whilst not mountainous the area is very pretty
with rolling hills and wide, open views and whilst the weather in NW Europe
can never be guaranteed, September in southern England is normally reasonably
warm and dry. Indeed, this party is on the first anniversary of the New
Forest party where we enjoyed near-constant sunshine and temps in the low
twenties C.

More details and a wiki page to follow but if you fancy exploring this part of
southern England and extending the reach of OSM and Freemap to countryside
users, keep the weekend free. Lots of good real ale pubs in the area too if
you're into that :-)

Whilst mostly aimed at walkers there are some bridleways and 'green lanes'
suitable for off road cyclists, and also country lanes though the priority
will be on the off road stuff.

Finally please let me know if you're interested in attending and have a laptop
with serial port. If no-one coming has one I can try and investigate other
solutions.

Nick