[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:46:51 BST 2007

On 18/08/07, Joe Hildreth <xavier at gtec.com> wrote:

>     I have been labeling county roads as tertiary highways. Most all of
> these roads are two lane blacktop sometimes with, sometimes without center
> line markings. When these render they are larger in width than residential
> highways. Am I using the correct tag for these?

In terms of their "importance", tertiary roads lie between secondary
and unclassified. They are also more important than residential roads,
since you might actually use them as a route from one place to
another.

I do most of my mapping in Ireland, where there's no official road
classification that maps readily to tertiary. However, I find it very
useful to indicate a road which, while unclassified, has a greater
significance for through traffic that isn't shared by other
unclassified roads. Generally this will indicate that the road is of
an acceptable standard for motor vehicles.

Dermot

Dermot