[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sat Aug 18 21:11:57 BST 2007

On Saturday 18 August 2007 19:46:51 Dermot McNally wrote:
> I do most of my mapping in Ireland, where there's no official road
> classification that maps readily to tertiary. However, I find it very
> useful to indicate a road which, while unclassified, has a greater
> significance for through traffic that isn't shared by other
> unclassified roads.

Same here in the UK. In urban areas I mark through-roads that are wider than
residential roads as tertiary. In rural areas I mark roads that have two
lanes, or that are wide enough for easy passing, to differentiate them from
the tiny country lanes you wouldn't want to go down unless your destination
was on them.

Kind regards,
tom

--
| Green Party Speaker on Intellectual Property and Free Software |
| http://tom.acrewoods.net    ::    http://www.greenparty.org.uk |