[OSM-talk] On tertiary highways

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Sat Aug 18 20:09:30 BST 2007

Joe Hildreth wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>     I have been labeling county roads as tertiary highways. Most all of
> these roads are two lane blacktop sometimes with, sometimes without
> center line markings. When these render they are larger in width than
> residential highways. Am I using the correct tag for these?

In the areas that I know well and map, I use tertiary on rural roads if
it meets the criteria above; especially if they are the main routes
between villages or towns.

UK specific bit follows: most councils have official designations of
Cxxxx or Uxxxx for roads, which are specific to that one council; but
they very rarely appear on road signs or commercial maps. You find about
these C number references in things like official road closure notices,
road maintainance notices and the like. Where I find that a road is a C
road, that definately gets labelled as highway=tertiary; and I also
include ref=Cxxxx. Uxxxx road references means that the ways in
openstreetmap stay as highway=unclassified or highway=residential.

--
Simon Hewison