[OSM-talk] Editing and tagging - Potlatch, or just JOSM?

Alex L. Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Sat Aug 18 23:44:12 BST 2007

Darryl Shpak wrote:
> Alex Mauer wrote:
>> Jon Bright wrote:
>>
>>> Sure.  I should have mentioned this.  For my local area, for example,
>>> the Yahoo! data is just plain wrong - it's all shifted some 5km to the
>>> north.  So the river in the Yahoo! data is ~5km north of where the river
>>> really is.
>>>
>> I have a similar problem, though not nearly as drastic.
>>
>> Is there anyone here who works on the YWMS plugin that can say whether
>> it might be possible to configure an offset for the yahoo data, so that
>> the image would always be shifted a certain amount, or so that the image
>> could be "slid" around manually to match existing data, allowing other
>> data to be derived?
>>

> When the WMS plugin is in use, there's a button on the left-hand toolbar
> that should allow you to slide the WMS layer around. I've never used it,
> because the YWMS data is bang-on in my area, so I don't actually know if
> it works, but it's definitely there...

Hmm, it does help a little bit.

It still has some problems though.
Sliding the wms layer doesn't move the whole layer but only one of the
downloaded wms tiles...and if they're overlapping it will move only the
lower one.
And, downloading more wms data will still be offset so you have to match
it up with the previous tiles.  Yuck.  Fixing this problem would solve
the previous one as well, since you'd only need to move it once.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"
--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.