[OSM-talk] fuel type suggestions

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 19 11:34:31 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 10:51 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> On Sunday 19 August 2007 07:13:38 Jeffrey Martin wrote:
> > In Korea most LPG fueling stations are separate from the other
> > stations that sell gasoline and diesel.
> > I'm not really sure how to tag that.
> > fueltype=
> > If I bothered to look there may be some stations that don't allow large
> > trucks.
> >
> > The only thing I found on the wiki was a set of tags used in Iran.
> >
> >  amenity=car_wash for car washes.
> >  amenity=fuel
> >  fuel_diesel=0 or 1
> >  fuel_cng=0 or 1
> >  fuel_petrol=0 or 1
> >  fuel_super_petrol=0 or 1
>
> Should it not be fueltype=diesel;lpg;petrol? Or just lots of
> fueltype=diesel;fueltype=lpg etc.
>
> There are lots of instances where we need multiple values for tags, it would
> make sense to standardise on a method like separation with semicolons or
> multiple entries and encourage all apps to support that.
>
> Better than new keys for every fuel type!

Unfortunately there are problems with both suggestions right now:

- Several things assumes that there is on a single instance of a given
'key' on an object. (I know both JOSM & Mapnik renderer assume unique
keys)

- ';' is used as the separator in the main OSM database between multiple
key/value pairs so inserting a ; in a value causes things to get
confused.

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to use ',' to separate
multiple values.

	Jon