[OSM-talk] fuel type suggestions

Alex S. maps at swavely.com
Sun Aug 19 19:31:47 BST 2007

Jeffrey Martin wrote:
> I agree in most situations you don't need all that information, but
> here are two situations where some extra information is needed.
>
> Korea: LPG stations were added later and in almost all cases they are
> very far away from a station that sells gasoline (petrol) and diesel.

In the US, CNG stations tend not to have other fuel types - and regular
stations tend not to have CNG storage tanks.  There are quite a few
vehicles that have been converted to CNG in the US.

> United States: Few cars use diesel so some stations don't have it.
> Some stations that have diesel have diesel on the highway sign but
> neglect to mention that the don't have room for large trucks.

Depending on where you are, the situation is even worse - in my area,
stations with diesel are the exception, rather than the norm.

> I would like some more examples of where extra information is needed
> so we can first define the issue.

Here's a situation that might help:
I have a compact diesel truck.  I'm in a strange city in the US (or
perhaps I've gone to Canada for the weekend), and I need to refuel.

I need to be able to distinguish only the fueling stations that carry
diesel, or b20 biodiesel blend.  My vehicle's too old to run b100 - that
will eat through my fuel lines unless I retrofit them.  And I pay cash,
so I can't go to a 'card lock'-only station (someone called them 'fuel
vending machines' on the list).