[OSM-talk] Slippy Map update

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Mon Aug 20 07:51:00 BST 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 03:40:44PM +0900, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

> Tell me if I have this right.

No :)

> There's the Osmarender software that is used to make the osmarender
> layer on the OSM website and the tiles at home project uses mapnik to
> make the mapnik layer on the OSM website.

The osmarender software is the underlaying foundation which is used in the t at h project. What you see on openstreetmap.org (and informationfreeway.org) as the osmarender layer, is the output of the t at h client which uses a variant of osmarender.
Mapnik is a separate project from openstreetmap (although closely working with it), it produces beautiful maps (most would state that they are prettier than osmarender). The tiles you see when you select the mapnik layer, are produced from a mapnik installation with our custom homegrown style sheets.

> But these renderings are separate from the software and someone could
> use either software  setup to make maps with a different set of rules
> if they set up their own big giant server.

That is what OSM is all about, yes. People have for example adapted both mapnik and osmarender style sheets to produce maps for cyclists.