[OSM-talk] Length od ways and dual named ways

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Wed Aug 22 03:35:31 BST 2007

On 19/08/07, Alex L. Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:

> David Earl wrote:
> > Absolutely. Very long ways may miss a rendering square completely. I'd
> > go less - 3 - 5 km max, then unintelligent rendering can label them on
> > each intervals.
>
> Hmm, doesn't that only apply to long segments, not long ways?  It should
> be OK to have long ways, as long as there's a node within every z12
> tile...right?

Right.

I'd say the bigger issue is not length of the way but number of segments in
the way... a 5km way converted from a GPS trace could have 3000+ segments if
made at low speed with a track point every second, that would be bad,
equally, a 500km way could have 100 segments if there wasn't much change in
direction, which wouldn't be very bad, though being able to see tile
boundaries when creating such a way would be pretty useful to ensure that
each tile got at least one node as it would be very possible for some
segments to cut across tile corners at those sort of lengths which would
result in rendering issues...