[OSM-talk] Mapping Qs: Hotel Complex? Beach? Enclosed Woodland?

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Aug 22 21:27:58 BST 2007

I've had a good think and for me personally, yes, a render order of residential, commercial, industrial, retail (and then any more esoteric types not yet defined) would work very well.  I sketch in "residential areas", i.e. urban areas that are most likely to be residential. Commercial area are often hard to define specifically without in depth local knowledge of an area so are good next.  Industrial areas are usually easy to delimit.  Same with retail but as generally small, are good at the top.

And I assume that layer= would still override any pre-defined order should any folks want to do that.

I take Andy's later point about using layers to represent actually physical layering but I've taken the old graphics trick of simply layering smaller features over the top of larger features a la a cricket pitch inside a park.  I don't have any fixed view about which is best.

Oh, and meantime, I shall stop layer inflation, -5 will suit me well!

Mike