[OSM-talk] JOSM geometry support

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 23 00:28:33 BST 2007

Hi,

Question:

"I have drawn a rectangular building but it looks more like a trapezoid,
what can I do?"

Answer:

Select the four corner nodes and execute the "align nodes in circle"
function. Oddly enough, the results sometimes get better if you click
repeatedly.

Question:

"But now the building is at an angle to the road and I want it to be
parallel!"

Answer:

Download the latest JOSM build (the one that's going to be available in
a few hours) and you'll find a "rotate" mode hidden below the "move
node"-button on the left; select the object you want to rotate, grab one
corner and rotate it as you would in a drawing program.

Question:

"I want more geometry support - I want functions offered by traditional
drawing programs, like aligning, distributing, or cloning objects...
when entering a building I just want to put one node and then enter
'building, rectangular, 100 metres in direction 210°, width 30 metres'
and I want JOSM to put the other three nodes accordingly and add
segments and a way..."

Answer:

I think we should collect these requirements and make a "geometry"
plugin. (Maybe move the "align nodes in circle/in line" functions there
as well.) I'm a bit unsure at the moment how one would best implement
these functions without interfering too much with traditional JOSM
functions - maybe create an extra layer or so... what geometry functions
do *you* want and how would you like them?

Bye
Frederik