[OSM-talk] Motorway's exit

Guilhem Bonnefille guilhem.bonnefille at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:34:52 BST 2007

Hi,

I encounter problem mapping at motorways. Two main questions:
1) where to split the motorway
2) how to tag the Exit/Entrance

Concerning (1), I read (probably on the list) that motorway should be
splitted, in order to avoid 100km ways. One suggestion is to split on
the exits, in order to keep relative small way (~10km). But, where
exactly should we split?
I did a small snapshot to avoid any confusion (take care, this is a
French motorway, so directions are French :-) ):
http://nathguil.free.fr/mediawiki/images/Motorway_exit.png . Possible
solutions I
imagine:
- (1) on the node connecting motorway and the motorway_link leaving
the motorway ;
- (2) somewhere on the "center" between the exit node and entrace node ;
- (3) on the node connecting motorway and the motorway_link comming in
the motorway.

Concerning (2), I'm confused by the wiki pages:
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Motorway%2CMotorway_Link
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Motorway_Exit
Is exit "feature" still a proposed feature?
If no, can someone create a "Mapping/Feature/Motorway" to detail all technics?

Eventually, can someone point me at a location implementing a
considered well mapped motorway exit.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE