[OSM-talk] Islands in rivers

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Aug 23 23:56:43 BST 2007

Stephen Gower wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 06:10:51PM -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:
>> I've run into a couple of problems though:
>> First, if I try to break the river down so that it's multiple ways, it
>> doesn't render properly at all: the renderer makes a straight line
>> connecting the end of the way to the beginning of the way.
>
>   What happens if you make opposite banks part of the same way?  From
>   what you describe is happening, you might get chunks of rendered
>   river.  ASCII Art to describe what I think might happen, A>A>A is
>   one riverbank way, B>B>B is another, | \ and / are where "the
>   renderer make a straigt line connecting the end of the way to the
>   beginning of the way
>
>   A>A>A>A>A>A>AB>B>B>B>B>B>B>B
>   |           /              \
>   |          /                \
>   A<A<A<A<A<AB<B<B<B<B<B<B<B<B<B

You mean, make each way from two non-contiguous sections?  Interesting,
I'll have to try it.  That certainly would get around the limitation on
directionality of the areas.  It didn't occur to me that the renderer
might do its "stupid trick" more than once.  I'm sure it would get it
wrong for three non-contiguous sections as well.

Of course, removal of segments will get rid of this problem too, I can't
wait for that to happen.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope it will work.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"