[OSM-talk] Mapnik update frequency

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:58:49 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 22:25 +0200, Jon Bright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_Map says that Mapnik
> tiles get checked for currency when they're older than two days old and
> get viewed.  I've just viewed (for example)
>
> http://tile.openstreetmap.org/16/34120/21821.png
>
> It's currently out of date.
>
> http://tile.openstreetmap.org/16/34120/21821.png/status
>
> Indicates that it was rendered 2.5 days ago but that it's not awaiting
> re-rendering.  Has the delay before checking increased?

Currently the timeout is 3 days not 2. It was 2 for a while but we
experienced a few load spike so I backed it down to 3 days a nonth or
two ago. I've updated the wiki page.

Just for you, I've also forced that specific tile to get re-rendered so
you now see the roads which have been added.

I stopped the rendering ~48 hours ago because I knew a planet dump was
imminent and there was little point rendering tiles using the old planet
file. I restarted the rendering once the import had finished (approx 24
hours ago) and tile has only now just about cleared the backlog of
tiles.

See the CPU graphs on Munin which show lots of CPU activity rendering
tiles over the past 24 hours:
http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/tile.openstreetmap.html#System

	Jon