[OSM-talk] Name finder: "Budapesterplatz" vs. "Budapester platz"

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Aug 25 15:25:36 BST 2007

I have made a new release of namefinder which addresses this and similar
issues Ulf observed (below). You should now find that the following
searches all produce the same hit:
   Budapesterplatz
   Budapesterpl. [punctuation is irrelevant]
   Budapester Platz [what the mapper called it]
   Budapester Pl.
and including the more specific
  Budapesterpl, Nuremburg
etc.

Conversely, the nearby street tagged Wattstraße (i.e. straße is part of
the longer word), will be found with
   Wattstraße
   Wattstr [which will also find Wattstraat in The Hague among others as
the abbreviation is the same]
   Watt Straße
   Watt Str
   Watt Strasse
   Wattstrasse

In addition, many more abbreviations (both those used in tagging, and
those in search terms) are recognised. For example, searching for
   St Thomas Pl, Freiburg
now matches Sankt Thomas Platz, and
   Arnos Gro, Southgate
matches Arnos Grove

This applies both to the search on the osm map and on my own site at
http://www.frankieandshadow.com/osm/

Enjoy, David