[OSM-talk] A new highway tagging scheme

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Aug 27 03:00:20 BST 2007

Hi,

> Often the administrative classification of a road is unclear / not signposted.

[...]

> Again, as far as I know, there's no obvious way where I am to determine
> the legal classification of a road as trunk/primary/secondary/etc from
> any signage on the road itself.

Any attempt at distinguishing between physical/administrative
situation should allow both *or* only one of them to be used, with
software expected to use appropriate logic to make assumptions about
the missing information.

I may be on the ground and thus able to authoritatively tag the
physical side of things; or I may be using an out-of-copyright (or
otherwise legal) map which will give me the administrative status of
something but I'll have no idea what it is like on the ground.

On another note, as far as I understand Andy Robinson is working on a
general (not just limited to highways) concept for making the
distinction between physical and administrative aspects. Search for
"STAGS" on the Wiki or the lists (there was a presentation at SOTM). I
believe the concept has evolved a bit since it was presented, and has
also been renamed (to "Cosmic" or "Cosmos" if I am not mistaken).

Bye
Frederik