[OSM-talk] A new highway tagging scheme

Jeffrey Martin dogshed at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:45:55 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > Often the administrative classification of a road is unclear / not signposted.
>
> [...]
>
> > Again, as far as I know, there's no obvious way where I am to determine
> > the legal classification of a road as trunk/primary/secondary/etc from
> > any signage on the road itself.
>
> Any attempt at distinguishing between physical/administrative
> situation should allow both *or* only one of them to be used, with
> software expected to use appropriate logic to make assumptions about
> the missing information.
>
> I may be on the ground and thus able to authoritatively tag the
> physical side of things; or I may be using an out-of-copyright (or
> otherwise legal) map which will give me the administrative status of
> something but I'll have no idea what it is like on the ground.
>
> On another note, as far as I understand Andy Robinson is working on a
> general (not just limited to highways) concept for making the
> distinction between physical and administrative aspects. Search for
> "STAGS" on the Wiki or the lists (there was a presentation at SOTM). I
> believe the concept has evolved a bit since it was presented, and has
> also been renamed (to "Cosmic" or "Cosmos" if I am not mistaken).
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frederik at remote.org  ##  N49°00.09' E008°23.33'

In addition to the physical and administrative you also have a couple of other
classes that we don't have good names for yet.

1. phyisical
2. administrative
3. network In the US examples would be US Highway, Interstate, and
state highway. A section of road can belong to more than one network
and to more than one route in a network. Also, a particular route on a
particular network can move along many different kinds of roads.
4. route importance. I don't understand this one, but the example I
was given is that if a single lane gravel road is the only road
between two big cities then you want it to render like a motorway
because it's really important.
5. relative speed. This is not the speed limit, but the speed of the
traffic in general based on the number of traffic lights and how busy
it is. If two roads are the same style but one has less traffic lights
and less traffic then you want routing software to pick that highway.

There's a certain amount of assumptions that can be made. For example
if a US Highway shares a section of road with an Interstate route then
you can assume that that section will meet the Interstate Highway
standards.
--
http://bowlad.com