[OSM-talk] A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 28 10:35:49 BST 2007

Hi,

> I've actually been considering trying to deprecate route=lcn etc,
> simply because it's a muddle and hard to deal with.
[...]
> Basically it makes it much easier to tag, since there's no
> semicolon-delinated-'route'-tag stuff going on. I'm interested in
> considered comments regarding this.

Routes are, I think, a prime example for the use of relationships.
There should be a relationship object saying "the following ways
together form NCN #1234", and all ways linked to that. This makes it
so much easier and clearer to work with it. And there's also a
logical aspect: At least in my eyes, becoming part of a certain route
- be that bus route, pub crawl, or bike route - does not really
change the way itself. As long as you use tags, you will (in OSM)
change every single way if you add (or e.g. rename!) a route. This is
really undesirable, and it would be much nicer to have one single
object representing your route.

Granted, we don't have relationships *yet* but I'm working hard on
finalizing the proposal and I am optimistic that we'll see them in
production by October.

Bye
Frederik