[OSM-talk] A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:51:39 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > I've actually been considering trying to deprecate route=lcn etc,
> > simply because it's a muddle and hard to deal with.
> [...]
> > Basically it makes it much easier to tag, since there's no
> > semicolon-delinated-'route'-tag stuff going on. I'm interested in
> > considered comments regarding this.
>
> Routes are, I think, a prime example for the use of relationships.
> There should be a relationship object saying "the following ways
> together form NCN #1234", and all ways linked to that. This makes it
> so much easier and clearer to work with it. And there's also a
> logical aspect: At least in my eyes, becoming part of a certain route
> - be that bus route, pub crawl, or bike route - does not really
> change the way itself. As long as you use tags, you will (in OSM)
> change every single way if you add (or e.g. rename!) a route. This is
> really undesirable, and it would be much nicer to have one single
> object representing your route.

Absolutely, and I'm waiting with interest for the relationships to
come to fruition. Someone smarter than me will have to redo the parts
of the toolchain (e.g. osm2pgsql, mapnik rules and so on) to make them
work, but I look forward to it.

One question you might be able to answer for me - if I enter a short
section of "National cycle network Route 4" in a village somewhere -
at present, I would add ncn_ref=4 tag, but how would I find what
entities/relationships there are already in the db? How would my
little chunk of village know that there's a NCN4 entity elsewhere?

Cheers,
Andy