[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about)

graham graham at theseamans.net
Tue Aug 28 14:38:17 BST 2007

Peter Miller wrote:

> To be clear though, just because a road has a lane or track does not make it
> 'recommended for cyclists' and part of the local cycle network. It might
> just make it a little less dangerous

Or more dangerous. I won't mark some roads with cycle lanes where I
think they are really unsafe (ridiculously narrow and over drains;
jumping off road onto pavement and back again at dangerous points;
stopping suddenly where roads narrow leaving you in an unsafe position
to continue; crossing roads at points where the traffic signals are not
visible; etc). I also won't map footpaths as for cycling where our local
council has recently started putting up signs showing pictures of
parents with small toddlers and bicycles, after nearly hitting mothers
with children in buggies a couple of times: I don't think mapping
includes making councils look as though they have a real policy when all
they are doing is taking the cheapest route that technically satisfies
targets.

What do others do about this kind of thing? I've been putting off doing
much mapping of cycling routes at all because I don't know what the best
solution is. Having one-person censorship (effectively what I'm doing)
is also not good.

Graham