[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Aug 28 16:10:46 BST 2007

graham wrote:
> What do others do about this kind of thing? I've been putting off doing
> much mapping of cycling routes at all because I don't know what the best
> solution is. Having one-person censorship (effectively what I'm doing)
> is also not good.

I've been holding off from all things cycle-related except for ncn/lcn
routes and cycle parking for similar reasons. I'm waiting until somebody
develops a way to really describe a place from a cyclist's point of
view, including.:

- routes (cycle networks)
- facilities (lanes, parking, crossings)
- safety (width of roads and lanes, bad junctions, accident black spot)

How desirable a way is for cycling is pretty subjective and
mood-dependent, I don't much like the routes that the TFL route planner
suggests (though it's excellent software nonetheless). But if you have
the above data visualised, or as options in a route planner, then you
can at least say "give me an extremely safe route from X to Y" or "give
me the fastest route, I'm a semi-suicidal maniac, but warn me about the
nasty bits".

At the mo we seem to have a lot of that stuff available in proposed
features or accepted tags, but I'd rather wait until some people put it
together into a "here's how to map for cyclists" guide that is
definitive (by OSM standards),

Kind regards,
Tom