[OSM-talk] raw GPS points: editable?

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 20:40:23 BST 2007

Luca Dionisi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a doubt.
> Suppose someone uploads a GPS track. Then, there are works
> on the roads and the roads change.
> Most of the track is still valid but some raw GPS points are
> now misplaced.  They become confusing for other people who
> edit the map.
> So my question is, is it possible to delete raw GPS points from
> the server database?
>
> (Not the whole track.)

At the end of the day, if you've gone back & remapped an area, there is
map data there. Therefore nobody is likely to go in & think, 'Oh look
some unmatched GPS points' & add a way without local knowledge. They may
spot a road in WMS & associated track points - but the fact that a new
road is nearby ought to give them a bit of a hint, surely...

I know a number of points in my files are not that near to the real
route, eg coming out of trees, you have to use some intelligence to map!

I think the old tracks should stay, if only to maintain the audit trail
for legal purposes. You could perhaps mark a file as 'deprecated' &
exclude it from downloads - 'private' does this now - or as suggested, a
bounding 'box of deprecation' could be done, but this would have to be
on a per-file basis or your new points will suffer the same fate.

Mark