[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 29 09:07:12 BST 2007

Peter Miller wrote:

> However, the only information we are missing to be able to render the maps
> with the same detail as for Perth etc is the tags for 'poor road riding
> environment' and 'medium road riding environment'. The tags 'lcn=poor' and
> 'lcn=medium' could be used alongside 'lcn=yes'. An better alias for
> 'lcn=yes' might be 'lcn=good'.

I got the impression that "lcn" was reserved for more formal cycle
networks?  I'd go for "cycling=poor|medium|good" (note that this is a
new tag, as distinct from the bike=yes or whatever the current one is
called).

> Also missing is the incline data. I guess we could tag Ways with
> 'incline=yes' and incline=reverse' or something else as a work round not
> having elevation data. Possibly we should be able to shown 'incline=10%' or
> 'incline=-10%'. Not really a problem where I live though!

I am reminded of the /topic on the IRC channel:

 RichardF has been tempted more than once, while surveying, to tag a
 road as gradient=fucking steep

:-)