[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highwaytagging scheme - thinking about)

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Aug 29 09:29:24 BST 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:07:12 +0800, Cameron Patrick
<cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> I got the impression that "lcn" was reserved for more formal cycle
> networks?  I'd go for "cycling=poor|medium|good" (note that this is a
> new tag, as distinct from the bike=yes or whatever the current one is
> called).

But that's so subjective! Several of my colleagues refuse to cycle down
Streatham High St to work because it's a busy trunk road with trucks and
buses, but I prefer it because it's quick and saves me going up and down
too many hills.

As I wrote in my other email, and as is indicated on this rather nice page
pointed out to me, it's much better to focus on characteristics that
physical, administrative and safety related:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Cycleway

You can then determine what is "poor" or "good" based on your preferences.

Kind regards,
Tom