[OSM-talk] namefinder & permalinks on main slippy map

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Aug 29 09:34:14 BST 2007

In message <53cf5b6f0708290112q33c9ad9br5fdb7cf53488d070 at mail.gmail.com>
        Stefan Baebler <stefan.baebler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently namefinder on main page presents results in form:
> Unclassified road <a href="#" onclick="setPosition(46.052758,
> 14.501810, 16); return false;">Cankarjeva cesta</a>, less than 1km
> south-west of Ljubljana
>
> but would be better to have the real, working links:
> Unclassified road <a
> href="index.html?mlat=46.052758&mlon=14.501810&zoom=16"
> onclick="setPosition(46.052758, 14.501810, 16); return
> false;">Cankarjeva cesta</a>, less than 1km south-west of Ljubljana
> ... to have links ready for copy-pasting, opening in new tabs...

It's a backward step for the vast majority of people who just want
to seek to that point on the map though as it forces a round trip to
the server and a full reload of the page.

If you want a permalink then you can click on the search result to go
to the right point and then get a permalink for the current map position
in the normal way.

> or provide some other way of easy linking to a specific (current)
> location = permalink (as it is on informationfreeway)

It's called the view tab. And yes, I know that's now the best way to
include permalink support but until we come up with something better
that's where it is.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)