[OSM-talk] namefinder & permalinks on main slippy map

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:54:34 BST 2007

On 8/29/07, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> In message <53cf5b6f0708290112q33c9ad9br5fdb7cf53488d070 at mail.gmail.com>
>         Stefan Baebler <stefan.baebler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently namefinder on main page presents results in form:
> > Unclassified road <a href="#" onclick="setPosition(46.052758,
> > 14.501810, 16); return false;">Cankarjeva cesta</a>, less than 1km
> > south-west of Ljubljana
> >
> > but would be better to have the real, working links:
> > Unclassified road <a
> > href="index.html?mlat=46.052758&mlon=14.501810&zoom=16"
> > onclick="setPosition(46.052758, 14.501810, 16); return
> > false;">Cankarjeva cesta</a>, less than 1km south-west of Ljubljana
> > ... to have links ready for copy-pasting, opening in new tabs...
>
> It's a backward step for the vast majority of people who just want
> to seek to that point on the map though as it forces a round trip to
> the server and a full reload of the page.
Actually NO, it doesn't make a unnecessary roundtrip.
"return false;" javascript snippet prevents that in case of a normal
click on a link. The link would only be used if you intentionally
instruct your browser to do something explicit with it (eg right
click, open in new tab, open in new window, send link, copy link
location....)

> If you want a permalink then you can click on the search result to go
> to the right point and then get a permalink for the current map position
> in the normal way.
Ehm, what exactly is a "normal way" to get the permalink at this moment?
Remember, we're taking about slippy map on openstreetmap.org, not on
informationfreeway.

> > or provide some other way of easy linking to a specific (current)
> > location = permalink (as it is on informationfreeway)
>
> It's called the view tab. And yes, I know that's now the best way to
> include permalink support but until we come up with something better
> that's where it is.

Stefan