[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 23:01:17 BST 2007

On 8/29/07, Karl Eichwalder <ke at gnu.franken.de> wrote:

> > I got the impression that "lcn" was reserved for more formal cycle
> > networks?  I'd go for "cycling=poor|medium|good" (note that this is a
> > new tag, as distinct from the bike=yes or whatever the current one is
> > called).
>
> But do not forget to tag the reason why you think the way is good or
> bad.  Tag the width, surface, and any dead-ends.
>
> >> Also missing is the incline data. I guess we could tag Ways with
> >> 'incline=yes' and incline=reverse' or something else as a work round not
> >> having elevation data. Possibly we should be able to shown 'incline=10%'
> >> or
> >> 'incline=-10%'. Not really a problem where I live though!
>
> Sonner or later we must tag the elevation.

No, not necessarily. We have access to world-wide elevation data
already which is better than we can hope to collect ourselves (SRTM).
However, it's a pain to work with. I've been looking to generate
shapefiles from the SRTM data for inclusion in the cycle maps, but
it's hard work, and I'm not (yet) getting very far.

Cheers,
Andy