[OSM-talk] animated history rendering

Stefan Baebler stefan.baebler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:02:21 BST 2007

basically i:
1) periodically saved snapshots of a map from same url
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/MapOf/?lat=46.0478&long=14.5127&z=13&w=800&h=650&format=png
to several png files:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Ljubljana-2007-06-15_Osmarender.png
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Ljubljana-2007-07-10_Osmarender.png
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Ljubljana-2007-08-29_Osmarender.png

The perfect history animation tool should be able to generate older
maps from older planet dumps.

2) loaded the images into layers of image in Gimp, converted to
indexed colors (64 color palette, could probably be even less) with no
dithering, optimized for gif animation (so that only changes are added
in each frame) and saved as .gif animation as suggested in the Gimp
tutorial http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/

This step could probably also be automated with some command line
tools like ImageMagick

Stefan