[OSM-talk] Tiger data and highway classifications

Alex S. maps at swavely.com
Sat Dec 1 03:10:08 GMT 2007

Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Noticed that a number of through roads which I clearly remember as easily
> equivalent to a UK A road are shown as highway=unclassified (specifically
> Woodruff Avenue, Palo Verde Avenue).  Should these be highway=primary? Or
> in US terms does a hihgway=primary need to be a designated (numbered)
> state or national road?

The problem is, the TIGER data has only a couple of designators
(freeway, linkroad, arterial, other) for roads in the db, and many of
those are mislabeled anyway.

Here's how I've been tagging:
highways:
- motorway = freeway (grade separated, limited access, 55+, etc)
- trunk = non-freeway numbered highway (50+ rural, 35+ city)

"arterials":
- primary = 4 or more lanes if single carriageway, 2+ each side if separated
- secondary = 2+ lanes if single carriageway, the + being on-street
parking or median turn lane.
- tertiary = 2 lane road, no shoulder parking unless off-tarmac

Other:
- residential = um.  residential.  duh.  1+ lane, usually on-street parking
- unclassified = like a residential road, only not bordered by residences.
- service = alleys or long private driveways.  1 lane, occasionally one-way.

Other types (track, footpath, etc) as appropriate.